• [DotE & ES & EL] The Vaulters

Hi guys,

As you may have heard (previous blog post!), we are working really hard on the upcoming release of Dungeon of the Endless. However, you Endless Space lovers, we have not forgotten about you! Indeed, we have prepared a nice surprise for those who happen to purchase the Founder Pack of Dungeon of the Endless...

We are introducing the Vaulters, a brand new faction in Endless Space: Disharmony, but also Endless Legend!

THE VAULTERS

The Vaulters, in Endless Space: Disharmony

The Vaulters are underground humans, hiding in caves and underground dungeons, tinkering with their great, grim machines. They are technological savants, dedicated to rebuilding the great machinery of the Endless (though they do not know it was the Endless). Vault 51! They are afraid of the surface and the light.

The style is not steam-punk, but aluminium-steel-lasers-electricity. Their technology is polished and sleek, not hand-crafted brass and leather. They are the only “Sci-Fi” faction in Endless Legend, though, hiding for ages inside the remains of their ship / vault /dungeon and afraid to come out, they have lost much of their science and initial power and need to rebuild it.

THE VAULTERS IN ENDLESS SPACE

Implementing them to Endless Space is quite a challenge, because we want to keep the same philosophy as the one they will have in Endless Legend. As pictured previously, they are rather oriented towards defence and science. So here is the Affinity we want to give them:

Affinity

The Vaulters are able to instantly teleport a Fleet from one system to another under their influence, if both systems have a “Portal” built on them.

The portal
    • The portal is already built on the Home World at the start of the game
    • The portal can only be built on a COLONY
    • The portal can only be used by a Vaulters Affinity
    • The portal is visually shown in the Galaxy View by an icon
    • The portal can only be shared to allies and factions with an open border

The teleportation
    • The teleportation consumes all the movement points, and requires at least 1 movement point
    • The teleportation is automatic between two systems with a portal
    • The teleportation is not activated if the player uses CTRL, which forces the use of Free Move
    • The teleportation has to be considered when computing the shortest path between two systems
    • The teleportation is forbidden when the origin system is guarded by an opponent
    • The teleportation only works between two systems under the empire’s influence with a Portal
    • When playing a teleportation, a FX is played at ship’s origin and at its arrival
    This affinity gives them a tactical advantage in fleet deployment and allows them to do a better map control if they create an early outpost far from their home system.

Traits
    To reinforce their orientation, we give them all the traits reinforcing the system’s defence; as well as Crowded Planet to evoke the fact that they learnt to live underground on Auriga, allowing them to house more population on a planet. For Science, we give them Scientist I, Isolation Shield per default and a new Trait which gives + 1 Science / population. We want them to be good at science but not at the same level than the Sophon. They may concurrence them but not overcome them on this field. They also benefit from Legendary Heroes II because of their loaded history, full of great personality, as Dungeon of The Endless & Endless Legend will show.

In the other hand, they have two drawbacks:
    • As they spent a lot of time underground; they are less competent farmer and are not able to exploit the full potential of planets regarding foods. So we give them Black Thumb I.
    • As they are the origin of humanity, and they focused on defence, they are less gifted for space battle and suffers from damage reduction given by Human Weapon I

Recap
    • Fearless Warrior II: +25 Defence / pop
    • Rebellion II: +100% Ownership gain // -80% Ownership loss
    • Kitchen Chemist: +1 Science / Population
    • Scientist I: + 10% Science on systems
    • Isolation Shield (unlock technology of same name)
    • Crowded Planet I: + 1 pop on Tiny / Small / Medium
    • Legendary Heroes II: + 2 level on hired hero
    • Black Thumb I: - 10% Food
    • Humane Weapons I: - 12% Damage

More details on the "Dungeon of the Endless" Steam Store page.

Comments 30 Comments
      Stealth_Hawk -
      This... just... it makes me so happy. By the way, could the Vaulters be part of the ES event 'Sleeping War Machines' ? Because they seem to fit perfectly.And also, those ships are beautiful... and cause many more theories to pop into my head
      Ca_Putt -
      Interesting, I love the idea. But will they be availible apart from the collectors edition?

SPACE DWARFS FTW!
      Ashbery76 -
      The ships look to much like the UE.Will the A.I know how to play them? Plus with all these factions we need either a non copy random races option or make it that the game can be played with all races on the map.
      Buzz -
      What's the price for the founders pack?
      Sovereign -
      would be cooler if allied vault players could use each others portals. Actual team play would be possible.
      Nosferatiel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
      would be cooler if allied vault players could use each others portals. Actual team play would be possible.
      Actually, we had this in in our last version we VIPs played, due to our demand to make it so. We could even use the portals for other races, if we had open borders, so you could sell open borders diplomatically to other players for strategic reasons.

Is this any kind of rollback?!? Oo
      Stealth_Hawk -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatiel View Post
      Actually, we had this in in our last version we VIPs played, due to our demand to make it so. We could even use the portals for other races, if we had open borders, so you could sell open borders diplomatically to other players for strategic reasons.

I think this would be cool, making it a possibility for all factions. But I think that making it exclusive to vaulter alliances would further throw off random faction selection, since if the game decides to put two vaulters in the game, it would make them stronger, but when they are alone they would seem weaker.

but +1 to let other factions use the portals, either via open borders or even a new exclusive diplomatic transaction.

But how would it work? Since I am assuming portals are a vaulter specific tech/improvement, so the other factions would only use it to jump through your territory?
      Sovereign -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatiel View Post

So why it didnt made it into the game ?

A Race designed for team playing that would be somehing new.

and yes i found that other races should be able to use the portal system too.
      Everyone wants then a Vaulter in their Alliance if he has nice key systems.
      Could be also implemented with a Technology as the guy over me mentioned.
      Nosferatiel -
      Well, in the latest version we got, it is in. So I'm not sure whether I should believe this statement to be simply wrong or a rollback to a previous version we had. In any case, the portals could be used by any player, but not built. So even system trading for someone allied with a vaulter is a good option. You give him a system in your territory, he allows you instant access to the fringe of his complete territory just by building a portal. Win-Win. But if you break the alliance, you have an instant "move all enemy fleets in the middle of my territory in one goddamn turn"-problem to cope with.
      FinalStrigon -
      This looks awesome, guys! My roommate and I were just talking about DotE and EL, wondering when they would come out...Sorry I haven't been around much to keep contributing on the forums (some VIP I am ^^;; ). But you're still getting my money! And a few times at that...I think some friends are getting some gifts when my next paycheck hits
      Ca_Putt -
      Is it just me or does the announcement of space dwarves coincide with the release of the second part of the Hobbit. A movie that largely revolves around dwarves.
      Tredecim -
      Nice theory Ca_Putt But I somehow like the Vaulters.. Shields and Crossbow-Weapons
      lnxnet -
      Haven't tried the Vaulters yet but judging from their stats I think the portal should also give a output bonus.Moving around the galaxy instantly gives a big strategical advantage but I think it would be logical to get a bonus, at least on , since the portals could be used to assemble ships faster (this is an example).
      Sovereign -
      Quote Originally Posted by lnxnet View Post
      Haven't tried the Vaulters yet but judging from their stats I think the portal should also give a output bonus.Moving around the galaxy instantly gives a big strategical advantage but I think it would be logical to get a bonus, at least on , since the portals could be used to assemble ships faster (this is an example).
      Yeah you so dam right.

Otherwise i dont see them on par with the other races especially in MP.

PS: didnt we gain G2G Points for the purchase of Dungeon of the Endless this time? Or do i miss something?
      Stealth_Hawk -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post

PS: didnt we gain G2G Points for the purchase of Dungeon of the Endless this time? Or do i miss something?
      Founder pack is supposed to give you 400 g2g and 2 badges, if you redeem the codes ofc. But I do assume you knew this, Darth Sovereign. I haven't gotten my copies yet, so I obviously dont know for sure. I know there is a problem with the coupon, is there a problem with the codes too?

And the portals do kinda give a bonus via trade routes, do they not? Or are you guys thinking along the lines of something bigger?
      Sovereign -
      http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/...Steam-Purchase

the issue with the Code is fixed now

btw i can only assume you all to test Dungeon of the Endless.I buyed it even if i never have played a Game in such a Genre i mean I pledged many bugs to Chris Roberts and his Sar Citizien project so why not try something new and also help your favourite Game Studio?
      SkOoMa -
      äähhmmm.... to buy dungeon of the endless is the only way to get the Vaulters? because..... i don't like this art of gaming...... that's why i don't get this game..... but a new faction for ES... thats something i realy like....... but how can i get this without Dungeon of the endless?
      Nosferatiel -
      Well, Meedoc just cleared it up: The description of the vaulters affinity only working for the vaulters, is wrong. With an open borders contract, other races can also use the teleports of the vaulters. So that's okay, now. On the other hand, for now, buying the founders pack of DotE seems to be the only way to get the vaulters. @Skooma: I don't like this practice, either.
      Wenchbane -
      I agree with the practice of buying one game and getting a bonus in another, So far I'm super pleased with the way ES was going and decided to give DoTE a try. Happy I did it and got the Vaulters too! xD On a side note do we now have space dwarves? Or am I mistaken and these are just really reclusive humans?
      Ca_Putt -
      @Tredecim: oh so do I, I just found it a bit of a coincidence. - afterall Space dwarfs, while theoretically there GW did not press their "Squats", even considering they already had space elves, space Orks and space undead.