This is it, the day of release has finally come for Endless Legend.
What started as "Hey, let’s make Endless Space in a fantasy setting" bloomed into a gargantuan (for Amplitude’s size at least) fantasy 4X. We are very tired, it has been long and stressful, but we are very proud of what we have achieved. We are also very proud of having matured this game with you during Early Access, so thanks again for your trust, support and spot-on feedback.
As we stated in the past, release is just a step in the life cycle of Endless Legend -- a step which is necessary to receive press reviews and ship the game to retail stores. It is a foundation on which we will build together in the coming months. You have plenty of ideas and we do too (having some booze tonight will likely improve that), and I am confident the game will grow in all aspects for the best.
We had a pizza night yesterday at Amplitude, polishing and fixing the last nagging issues, and we were very happy with what we had in our hands. The game is arriving on Windows 32 and 64 bit versions, as well as on Mac 32 bits. We have some issues with external middleware that is preventing us from releasing a 64 bits Mac version right now, but it is at least breathing so it should not take too long. The 32 bit version of the game runs fine on Mac 64 bit systems, however. The Linux version is breathing as well, also with a few middleware issues, but we should be able to release it shortly.
The game releases in English, French, German, Polish and Russian. Other languages will follow soon (think of two languages close to French ).
Compared to the last public version you received, you will discover:
- The Cultists faction (more details below!): very exotic, very fun, very dangerous. If an AI plays it next to you, make sure you kill them before they overwhelm you. I was defeated yesterday evening by those bastards, thanks Nosferatiel
- Custom factions: our Technical Director has already found the one killer custom faction he is inordinately proud of.
- Final animated ambassadors for all factions, including the large ones (negotiation screen) and smaller ones (diplomatic status)
- The Mezari faction (Vaulters skin for Endless Legend [classic or founder] Dungeon of the Endless founder pack owners)
- The Icewarg minor faction (for Endless Legend founder pack owners)
- The Drakken special hero (for Endless Legend founder pack owners)
- The Nydia minor faction, for all. It may feel reminiscent of another faction from another Amplitude game. #tease
- Lots of AI tuning and improvements, faction behaviour has been improved (if you play next to a Roving Clans empire get ready to see mercenaries coming your way, even though he claims you are his best friend).
- All battle data has been re-tweaked. I loved the way the battle played yesterday, yet we still cannot wait to get your opinion on which unit or faction is overpowered or underpowered. Try to keep in mind the global balancing though; for example, the Broken Lords hero is very strong, but expanding BL cities is expensive, so this makes them a conquering faction, rather than an expanding one.
- We have also rebalanced some buildings’ costs, minor faction difficulty, region sizes, etc. to make the game experience fluid and interesting at all stages
- We have of course fixed tons of bugs, especially some nightmarish random crashes and freezes which were very hard to nail down.
- In some rare situations (which we cannot reproduce here or at QA), generating the game fails. Make sure you have administrative rights when you launch the game, and also using the Win 7 compatibility trick might help. We have upgraded the Steamworks middleware to a more recent version to make sure we kill all Steam related issues.
- In some specific cases in multiplayer, performing multiple join/leaves can result in desyncs. Re-hosting the game fixes the desync. Our QA has reported complete MP sessions with no desync at all, so the MP experience should be very smooth
- There may be some German/Russian texts not perfectly fitting in boxes, but nothing game breaking there.
The Cultists of the Eternal End
Because you guys made this happen: here's a preview of the Cultists of the Eternal End, Endless Legend's faction entirely designed by the community with Nosferatiel, Telum and Adazu in particular. So enjoy!
Thanks for your attention, trust, support, and most of all: Have fun with the game! We'll share more info on the actual release later today so stay tuned!