+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam Client Service: buildbot_winslave...

Galactic Officer 1
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 76%
Next Level: 37XP
    Achievements:
    AstronautHi my name is...Capture the Tag!Stardom!!!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceEndless SpaceDev TeamEndless LegendEL FounderDungeon of the EndlessDotE Founder

Question Steam Client Service: buildbot_winslave...

Hello there,

I know this was solved once way back during Beta testing with a quick XML file fix, but I was unable to find it with extended searching.

Whenever I start up Endless Space a permission window pops up. It is for Steam Client Service.

It isn't a problem, but more of a nuisance. I was wondering what was the proper file to edit so that it no longer pops up or if that will be fixed in a new update?

Cheers,

ben_caleb
    Cry havoc and let slip the Cravers of war --LocoMike

Though games are but pure imagination, there are many real philosophical arguments that can be pulled out from them. In the case of Endless Space a planet needs to be of a single, uniform government to truly be space faring and competitive out in the wilds of space.

Captain
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 45%
Next Level: 110XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!Humm... not bad...OverdriveJunior Game DesignerRising Star!I love you guys!Among the StarsBeen there, done that...
    Awards:
    VIPDev TeamEndless SpaceEndless Space
    Have no idea what stream client service permission message your speaking of (never seen such a message) so difficult to direct you toward a fix.

Chief Galactic Officer 2
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 75%
Next Level: 38XP
    Achievements:
    Happy Birthday!AstronautCapture the Tag!OverdriveHi my name is...People!!
    Awards:
    EL FounderEndless LegendDisharmony
    I know exactly what you mean. It is annoying.

Any help from the dev team or senior forum members much appreciated.

Just to add a few details.
    The dialogue box is titled "User Account Control"
    Inside the dialogue box the following...
    Program name: Steam Account Client (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_cli... (can't see the rest as runs beyond dialogue box border)
    Verified Publisher: Valve
    File Origin: Hard Drive on this computer
    Program location: "C:\Program File\Steam.... (Whatever your set up is)

Commodore
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 36%
Next Level: 194XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!OverdriveGroup FrenzyJudgement DayAmong the StarsI love you guys!People!!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDev TeamDisharmonyDungeon of the EndlessDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL FounderVIP
    I am a little lost, what type of permission window is it? Is it Windows asking for perms or steam? (A screenshot could help ;)
    Economics Fnatic

Commodore
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 4%
Next Level: 192XP
    Achievements:
    People!!I love you guys!Among the StarsBeen there, done that...
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless SpaceDisharmonyDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL Founder
    Sounds like UAC is asking you for permission from Steam to run its service. I don't know why it asks at all - It shouldn't.

But try lowering your UAC a step and reboot - If it doesn't help, reduce it further and so on. Put it back to default if reducing it doesn't help at all.

Chief Galactic Officer 2
    G2G
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    @Stealth_Hawk

(Hope I'm doing this upload right)

I've attached the a screen shot of the dialogue box that appears at every launch of ES.

Worth noting that clicking on "Yes", "No" and the "X", to close the dialogue box, all launch ES. Yes that's right, even clicking on the close box button will launch ES. It's a hit and miss affair as it doesn't always do this, but hitting the "No" button does. Absolutely no idea why as all other applications on my pc work as normal and I've scanned and rescanned with various tools for issues, all coming back clear.

ES Game Launch notice.zip

Thanks to any that have a clue and can point us that are afflicted in the right direction

Commodore
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 36%
Next Level: 194XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!OverdriveGroup FrenzyJudgement DayAmong the StarsI love you guys!People!!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDev TeamDisharmonyDungeon of the EndlessDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL FounderVIP
    Hmm, I can't seem to unzip your word document. I assume it looks something like this:

Name:  215509_uac-prompt.png
Views: 124
Size:  40.9 KB

btw you can upload images by clicking on the 'Image' button in the forum editor, right in between Insert Video and Unlink. (you may need to click the advanced settings to see it)

This is strange though, since clicking No should disallow the program.

but anyway, you have a couple of options if it is Windows UAC,

1) Do as Mansen says. Unfortunately, bumping it down once from the default will simply disable screen dimming, not fixing the problem. 2 below default will fix your issue, but you won't be notified if a non-system application attempts to modify your system without you telling it to (like a virus) This is risky, but if you feel secure about your anti-virus and such, it might be ok.

2) It sounds like you don't have an admin account on your PC. Windows gets picky about that, and I believe this might be why its asking you about perms. If you feel brave enough to venture into the nightmarish jungle that Windows disillusionaly calls their customer support system, go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-account-type
    Economics Fnatic

Chief Galactic Officer 2
    G2G
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    @Stealth_Hawk

Still laughing at your comment re Windows customer support. So true

Thanks for the tip, image below. I used 7-zip to compress and chose the .zip compression option for the doc. (could this info on using the forum tools be compiled and stickied?)

Name:  ES Launch dialogue.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  68.9 KB

Re point 1: I agree. I'm never that confident with any pc linked to the web, especially running Windows. Too many people (official and unofficial) with clever tools and poor integrity.

Re point 2: I am in the admin account on my pc. Never been able to set up any other Windows account that could be password secured, so forced to use it all the time. Not sure why. Probably HP security and Windows not liking each other somewhere.

@Ben_Caleb
    Have you found a solution, or are you still having the same issue?

I very much appreciate the helpful insights from Stealth_Hawk and Mansen. I'll take a deep breath and dive in to the Windows customer support to look for an answer. If I find one I'll post it here. In the mean time, if any have an idea, please share.

Fleet Admiral
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 65%
Next Level: 143XP
    Achievements:
    OverdriveS.T.A.R.S.Taggerator!A little help from a friend!Group FrenzyStardom!!!Endless Space ExplorerCrowd Friending!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless SpaceBEER2GETHERDisharmonyDisharmonyDisharmonyDotE FounderDotE FounderDotE FounderDungeon of the EndlessEndless LegendEL Founder
    UAC on the lowest setting ("never notify" or something like this) should do it - I'm Admin at my Win7 and it never pops up.

"When the Earth, cold and calm, clears, a shadow climbed the hill..."

Chief Galactic Officer 2
    G2G
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Well I tried a few things and I still can't find a solution. I'm no coder though.

As for setting the UAC lower - not going to happen. 1/ I simply can not afford to have notification of issues switched off. 2/ It doesn't solve the issue, only hides it. So I'm stuck with the annoying "first time install" request each time I start the game up.

If anyone does come across a way to stop this, please post.
    It's not so much what I know, rather my striving to know, that defines me.
    Help the Gras to be rescued. View their predicament here and be blessed with grace!
    It's all about the Hero's and Battles - click to join the discussion and vote on the poll.

Lieutenant
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 50%
Next Level: 75XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!OverdriveAstronautHi my name is...Rising Star!Happy Birthday!
    Awards:
    Dungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderDisharmonyEndless SpaceDev Team
    I did a bit of a search and someone tried doing this Program Files - Steam - SteamApps - Common - *Name of Game* - *Launch Icon for Your Game*. The rest of the article you can follow in this link. I believe it should start ES with out the steam client.

DarkMeph
    Yes I am the idiot who brought DOTE and found it did not run on Mac.

+ Reply to Thread