Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash on launch [MAC] - Help us help you! - [WORKAROUNDS FOUND]

Lead Community Developer
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 0%
Next Level: 0XP
    Achievements:
    Stardom!!!Humm... not bad...OverdriveCrowd Friending!Master TaggerPart of the Dev TeamSuper Glue!Living LegendVeteran
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless SpaceFirst WaveGamescom 2012BEER2GETHERDisharmonyDisharmonyDisharmonyGamescom 2013Dungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL FounderPAX East 2014

Exclamation Crash on launch [MAC] - Help us help you! - [WORKAROUNDS FOUND]

Hi everyone,

We are working actively on fixing issues that appeared with the recent launch of Disharmony, as well as the update on the classic version (1.1.4 at the moment). Among several other fixes, we have solved the retreat bug on Mac, currently being tested by our QA. You can expect a new patch very soon already, which will hopefully include the retreat fix.

We will however need your help in solving the crash on launch for Mac users. Our team, besides our QA, has not been able to reproduce it yet and we will greatly appreciate your participation.

We would like to gather all the needed information to fix this problem as soon as possible. Please, if you cannot launch your game at all after the installation, post in this thread:
    • Specs
    • OS version
    • Player log (~/Library/Logs/Unity)

Thank you!

AVAILABLE SOLUTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by City17 View Post
    I encountered this kind of issue few days ago: each time I wanted to launch ES a window popped up saying something like “The application […] unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows” with two options I couldn't select before the application crashed again.

I am very far from being a Mac expert but I was able to fix this issue following the steps of this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...04&postcount=9.

This resolution process needs a tool you can download here http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php (or here http://mac.filehorse.com/download-maintenance/3500/). The tool to download is depending on your Mac OS version. The only thing I didn't do while following the steps described in the first link was to create another user account on the computer to launch the tool. I launched it from the default user account that encountered the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obyguane View Post
    Hi all,

By default, Mac OSX saves the state of the applications users launched. The side effect of that function is that sometimes the "crash status" of an application can also be saved. In that case, the application cannot be launched again. We are thinking of a way to tag Endless Space so that it’s not affected by this functionality, but meanwhile you can manually remove the folder containing the state of Endless Space: ~/Library/Saved Application State/unity.AMPLITUDE Studios.Endless Space.savedState. This should reset the state of the Endless Space application allowing you to play again.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCeph View Post
    UPDATE: I got it working for me.

It seemed to be an issue with Steam's In-Game overlay. To fix, I right-clicked the game in my Library list, and went to Properties (bottom of context menu). In here I deselected the 'Enable Steam Community In-Game' option (General tab).

Now Endless Space runs like a charm (it doesn't quit properly, but close enough)!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwafflestix View Post
    I can confirm the crash on intro video, and I can confirm that disabling the overlay worked for me (including problems quitting).

System: Pretty much a stock 13" MacBook Air, with 8GB memory upgrade

Processor: 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB

Symptoms: Would crash every time on start, within less than of a second of the opening movie; required force quit to exit. No data for the game was persisted to the "Saved Application State" folder for any of the crashes (verified prior to resolution as described below).

Solution: As described by DrCeph, I disabled the Steam In-Game Overlay (within Steam, at Game Library, select Endless Space from Library, right-click and choose Properties; on General tab, unselect "Enable Steam Community In-Game"). Launch the game at that point, and it proceeds through opening Amplitude logo video to the initial menu. As described, quitting the game is not successful, but "Force Quit" works. After running in this way and quitting ("Force Quit"), I can confirm that the game folder exists under "Saved Application State" as described.
    Last edited by Steph'nie; 07-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 73%
Next Level: 27XP
    Achievements:
    AstronomerHappy Birthday!
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro
    2.7GHz i7
    4GB DDR3 RAM

Top.zip

Get the repeating "the application Endless space unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows." bug while trying to start the game.

Space Apprentice
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 81%
Next Level: 19XP
    Achievements:
    Known Individual...AstronomerHappy Birthday!
    MacBook Air
    13-inch, Mid 2013
    Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB
    OS 10.8.4

Hangs during video at launch - needs force quit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 70%
Next Level: 30XP
    Achievements:
    Late 2012 Mac Mini
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3103)

"Quits unexpectedly on launch", and gives a "Problem Report".

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 34%
Next Level: 66XP
    Achievements:
    Known Individual...AstronomerHappy Birthday!
    MacBook Pro
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
    OS X 10.7.5

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 70%
Next Level: 30XP
    Achievements:
    Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
    1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB
    OS X 10.8.4

Player.log.zip
    Last edited by diskombobulator; 07-11-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 67%
Next Level: 33XP
    Achievements:
    Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
    1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    OS X 10.8.4

Hangs at the amplitude logo and needs force quit. Tried reinstall and tried "verify integrity of game cache". Nothing worked.

It won't let me upload the log for whatever reason, so here's the dl link: http://www.mediafire.com/view/l8zb9u...cBook-Air.hang

Thanks!

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 74%
Next Level: 26XP
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDev TeamDungeon of the Endless
    Quote Originally Posted by TopObject View Post
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro
    2.7GHz i7
    4GB DDR3 RAM

Attachment 7351

Get the repeating "the application Endless space unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows." bug while trying to start the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneguy View Post
    Late 2012 Mac Mini
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3103)

"Quits unexpectedly on launch", and gives a "Problem Report".
    I encountered this kind of issue few days ago: each time I wanted to launch ES a window popped up saying something like “The application […] unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows” with two options I couldn't select before the application crashed again.

I am very far from being a Mac expert but I was able to fix this issue following the steps of this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...04&postcount=9.

This resolution process needs a tool you can download here http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php (or here http://mac.filehorse.com/download-maintenance/3500/). The tool to download is depending on your Mac OS version. The only thing I didn't do while following the steps described in the first link was to create another user account on the computer to launch the tool. I launched it from the default user account that encountered the problem.

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 73%
Next Level: 27XP
    Achievements:

Edit: the above worked for me for this problem.

found this while i was also looking around, might be a much easier way to do it, but i havent tried this way: http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr...ost/8966988560
    Last edited by TopObject; 07-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 27%
Next Level: 73XP
    Achievements:
    Thanks you so much !!!!!!. I had the same problem and the solution you provided worked like a charm for me.

Programmer
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 78%
Next Level: 22XP
    Achievements:
    Hi my name is...Known Individual...Part of the Dev TeamAstronautBeen there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDev TeamFirst WaveBEER2GETHERDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderDisharmonyEL FounderEndless Legend

Hi all,

By default, Mac OSX saves the state of the applications users launched. The side effect of that function is that sometimes the "crash status" of an application can also be saved. In that case, the application cannot be launched again. We are thinking of a way to tag Endless Space so that it’s not affected by this functionality, but meanwhile you can manually remove the folder containing the state of Endless Space: ~/Library/Saved Application State/unity.AMPLITUDE Studios.Endless Space.savedState. This should reset the state of the Endless Space application allowing you to play again.

Cheers

Captain
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 20%
Next Level: 161XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!Humm... not bad...OverdriveI love you guys!Among the StarsStardom!!!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceEndless SpaceDev Team
    Does this delete anything?

I am embarrassed to tell you what I game on

2.4 GHZ Intel core 2 duo. It's a little slow, but it works just fine.

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 65%
Next Level: 35XP
    Achievements:
    Crashes during intro movie. Need to force quit.

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
    1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    OS X 10.8.4

Player.log.txt

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 66%
Next Level: 34XP
    Achievements:
    Crashes during intro movie also, with frozen movie and clipping sound. Need to force quit.

Mid-2013 Macbook Air 13" (MacBookAir6,2)
    1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Apple SSD SM0512F 512 GB

OS X 10.8.4 (12E3067)

Player.log.zip

Space Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 66%
Next Level: 34XP
    Achievements:
    UPDATE: I got it working for me.

It seemed to be an issue with Steam's In-Game overlay. To fix, I right-clicked the game in my Library list, and went to Properties (bottom of context menu). In here I deselected the 'Enable Steam Community In-Game' option (General tab).

Now Endless Space runs like a charm (it doesn't quit properly, but close enough)!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast