Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Rename the "monopoly" bonus

Spaceman Apprentice
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 54%
Next Level: 70XP
    Achievements:
    Hi my name is...Rising Star!AstronautBeen there, done that...

[Suggestion] Rename the "monopoly" bonus

Essentially, I have a bit of a problem with getting four of any resource being called a "monopoly" bonus, because monopoly implies that only one person can have it. However, there are often 8 or more resources of each type in the galaxy, and therefore, you can easily have 2, 3, or even more races with a "monopoly" bonus for a given resource. I think a better term would be to call it an "Abundance" bonus, representing that you have hit some threshold of supply to give you a bonus. And heck, maybe you could even throw a true "monopoly" bonus for having the majority of the resource in the galaxy that would give you another level of bonuses. But I think as it is now, it's a bit confusing since it implies one thing but represents something else entirely.

Legend
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 51%
Next Level: 249XP
    Achievements:
    OverdriveStardom!!!Capture the Tag!Endless Space ExplorerConfirmed CriticA little help from a friend!I love you guys!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDisharmonyDisharmonyEndless Legend
    As a suggestion to your suggestion, why not have the amount needed for a monopoly increase when you meet other races with the same resources?

So you have 4, the that guys has 1 so the monopoly minimum goes up to 5.
    Here is to the continued development of all Amplitude games!

Lets all G2G!

Rear Admiral
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 90%
Next Level: 20XP
    Achievements:
    I love you guys!Among the StarsBeen there, done that...Capture the Tag!Stardom!!!OverdriveHumm... not bad...
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless SpaceDisharmonyDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL Founder
    Agreed - Monopoly is misleading. Abundance (or similar) makes much more sense.

You basically reach a point where your supply of a resource exceeds your military needs by so much that you're forced/able to sell it off to the private market.

Spaceman Apprentice
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 54%
Next Level: 70XP
    Achievements:
    Hi my name is...Rising Star!AstronautBeen there, done that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Igncom1 View Post
    As a suggestion to your suggestion, why not have the amount needed for a monopoly increase when you meet other races with the same resources?

So you have 4, the that guys has 1 so the monopoly minimum goes up to 5.
    That might work, but ultimately, by definition "monopoly" means that only one person can have it, so either there should be only one possible monopoly bonus per resource (requiring that whoever owns it has the majority shares in the galaxy), or it should be renamed to represent that you just have a lot, but not necessarily the most. I'm not sure what the true intention of the devs were in terms of the monopoly bonus, which is why I think maybe you could have both bonuses in play, the current one, and a new one that would have a higher threshold as more of the resource is utilized.

Commander
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 28%
Next Level: 145XP
    Achievements:
    Hi my name is...Stardom!!!Capture the Tag!Humm... not bad...Group CollectorAmong the StarsBeen there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless Space
    Quote Originally Posted by Palleon View Post
    That might work, but ultimately, by definition "monopoly" means that only one person can have it, so either there should be only one possible monopoly bonus per resource (requiring that whoever owns it has the majority shares in the galaxy), or it should be renamed to represent that you just have a lot, but not necessarily the most. I'm not sure what the true intention of the devs were in terms of the monopoly bonus, which is why I think maybe you could have both bonuses in play, the current one, and a new one that would have a higher threshold as more of the resource is utilized.
    Just FYI, that's a horizontal monopoly, and it's possible to own a vertical monopoly too. One also doesn't need to own ALL of a given resource in order to "hold a monopoly" on the market. Classically, yes. Modern, no. In modern law, a monopoly is characterized by an entity that has significant market power or the power to charge high prices.

Rear Admiral
    G2G
    Level
    Achievements:
    I love you guys!Among the StarsBeen there, done that...Capture the Tag!Stardom!!!OverdriveHumm... not bad...
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless SpaceDisharmonyDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL Founder
    Yes - these days a monopoly is mostly defined by a party (a corporation or organization) owning/controlling so much of a given product/resource that they can basically dictate prices and agreements. They are in control of the subject matter.

Minority holders are basically slaves of the monopoly holders (something we strive very much to avoid in Europe - the monopolies that is)
    Last edited by Mansen; 06-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Galactic Officer 1
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 95%
Next Level: 8XP
    Achievements:
    Hi my name is...Capture the Tag!Known Individual...AstronautBeen there, done that...
    It is misleading at best, and therefore I also believe it should be altered either in mechanic or name.
    www.tefk.dk - Et dansk gaming community.

Spaceman Apprentice
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 4%
Next Level: 96XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!Known Individual...AstronautBeen there, done that...
    I also think the name is misleading, although it does suggest a potentially interesting mechanic that the game could use where a given strategic or luxury resource can only be found on a single planet. With a literal monopoly to whoever controls that planet, it could become a valuable diplomatic commodity and a reason to go to war.

As for what to call the "I have four of this" bonus, what about a Saturation bonus? Or maybe just a Plentiful Supply bonus?

Rear Admiral
    G2G
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    I smell another G2G vote incoming

Lieutenant Junior Grade
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 86%
Next Level: 29XP
    Achievements:
    Stardom!!!Human Tagging Machine!Judgement DayA little help from a friend!Among the StarsGroup FrenzyI love you guys!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless Space
    Yeah, even if monopoly somewhat works, I think abundance, like Mansen suggested, sounds best and it is impossible to misunderstand it.
    I was a very active member during the creation of this game, and I loved it, even was on the Gamescon 2012.
    But ever since I got my apprenticeship and everyone wants stuff from me I barely find time for anything at all.
    Not enough time for this beautiful game...

Spaceman Recruit
    G2G

Level
    Level Completed: 59%
Next Level: 41XP
    Achievements:
    Hi my name is...Group Hug! Yeah right...Capture the Tag!Known Individual...AstronautBeen there, done that...
    How about we have a (bigger) monopoly bonus if you own over 50% of the total resource in the galaxy? E.G There are 20 hyperium and you own 11.

Commander
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 35%
Next Level: 131XP
    Achievements:
    I love you guys!People!!Been there, done that...Among the Stars
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless SpaceVIPDisharmonyGamescom 2013Endless LegendEL Founder
    I thought this when I first started playing. Its not a true monopoly, an I'd love it if say, you only got a monopoly if you have like 50% of the galaxies reserves of that resource.
    My Youtube Channel
    If I ever reach perfection then I know I'm not trying hard enough! - What decides when you've lost the war, when the first man falls, or when they erase it all?
    My Xbox live tag is InFlamesForEver send me a message or request for some Gears 2 or Halo Wars.

Spaceman
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 21%
Next Level: 79XP
    Achievements:
    AstronautBeen there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDotE FounderDotE Founder
    I have to vote that Abundance has a better fit than Monopoly.

Chief Galactic Officer 2
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 55%
Next Level: 68XP
    Achievements:
    Rising Star!AstronautBeen there, done that...
    Awards:
    Dev TeamEndless Space
    I would like to see it go the other way. Stay monopoly bonus, but change it from 4 to 51% (majority, 50% +1. This would mean only 1 person could have the bonus). Perhaps we could even downsize the current bonus, possibly halve it, and call it an abundance bonus, and then add a higher monopoly bonus for majority control.

Senior Chief Stellar Officer
    G2G
    Level
    Level Completed: 14%
Next Level: 130XP
    Achievements:
    Capture the Tag!AstronautHumm... not bad...Rising Star!Been there, done that...
    Awards:
    Endless SpaceDev TeamDisharmonyDisharmonyDisharmonyDungeon of the EndlessDotE FounderEndless LegendEL Founder
    Why do we have to do one thing or the other? I would like to have an "Abundance"-Bonus and a special "Monopoly" trigger if you control a certain amount of the Resource (51%, 75%, 90% or 100% might all be appropriate).

If that is too much hassle I would definitely prefer "Monopoly" to be renamed to "Abundance".

Take care, Buecherwyrm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast